Are you interested in serving your fellow Catholic Eagles and the wider UMW Community, but not sure how? You have come to the right place! We have a number of ways you can serve your peers in a way in which not only you are comfortable, but also in a way that best fits with the talents, skills, and gifts that God has given you. Check out the list below for the different types of ways you may be able to help out.
- Weekly Social Committee: Join the Weekly Social Committee and assist with cooking, shopping, set-up and clean-up during our weekly Supper Social, (a.k.a. weekly Thursday dinners at the St. John Bosco Center). Volunteers also help keep the kitchen and building organized and clean to maintain a welcoming atmosphere for all who come to the St. John Center. Contact Shanti Ganasekaran at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Special Events Committee: Do you like to plan parties? Are you super-organized and like to play hostess when you have people over? If so, join our Special Events Committee and help us plan and host a variety of special events through the year such as the Bishop's Reception after Mass, Homecoming Weekend Events, Easter Brunch, and more. Contact Cameron Hiney at email@example.com for more information.
- Weekly Formation Committee: Volunteers on this Committee will help promote our weekly formation activities such as our Sunday Talk, and other small groups. Committee members will support the Weekly Formation event by telling their friends about them, assisting with the distribution of flyers on campus, and assisting with surveys to see how we can improve Formation activities, and other events we offer. Contact Mary Cheney at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
- Friday Fun Committee: Join the Friday Fun committee and help plan and host weekly Friday fun activity which begin around 9 pm, lasting up till midnight! As a volunteer, you get to assist with decorations and food, welcome guests to events, and assist with set-up and cleaning. Past Friday Fun Nights have included a Live Action Clue Game, Disney Night, Super Smash Brothers Video Game Tournament, Glow-in-the-Dark Capture the Flag, Harry Potter night, and more! Contact Allison McCrumb at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
- Outreach Ambassadors: Help establish a Catholic presence on campus and reach out to your fellow peers. As an ambassador, you will assist the Outreach Ambassador Committee Head with tasks such as tabling, passing out flyers, talking to new students about the faith, and more. Contact Ripkin Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Service Committee: The Service Committee help organize service activities for the Catholic Campus Ministry, primarily by planning and running our Service Saturdays once a month. Volunteers help coordinate with groups of students in going to places such as local homeless shelters, nursing homes, and pregnancy assistance centers to help them out by performing tasks such as yard work and playing basketball with underprivileged children. Contact Michelle Munoz at email@example.com for more information.
- Liturgy Committee: This Committee involves lectors, sacristans, altar servers (men only), and ushers, as well as students who assist with other liturgical tasks such as leading night prayer, managing our Adoration sign-up sheet, and setting up and cleaning up after Masses. Contact Cristina Montemorano at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Music Ministry: Do you love to sing? Join the St. John Bosco Choir & Ensemble, where you can take part in leading the congregation in sung prayer. The only requirement is the ability to sing on pitch to effectively participate in the music ministry. Students who are proficient with a liturgically appropriate musical instrument are also invited to accompany the choir. The Choir sings for the 5:30 pm Mass, and other major liturgical services. Rehearsals take place every Wednesday, 6 pm-7:30 pm, and Sunday, 4 pm-5 pm. to ensure thorough preparation, we encourage you to attend both rehearsals whenever possible. Rehearsal times may vary to account for some liturgical services taking place outside the Saint John Bosco Center's regular schedule; but we will always keep you updated. Contact David Thielman at email@example.com.
Auxiliary Choir: Do you love to sing, but cannot regularly commit to the choir during your semester? The St. John Bosco Center Auxiliary Choristers provides opportunities for you to sing on special occasions. The primary role of this group involves vocal support when four-part harmony on certain music is employed, but also when some members of the Choir & Ensemble are unable to attend certain liturgical services outside of Sunday, due to conflicting class schedules. Auxiliary Choristers, depending on their schedules, are encouraged to sing at events in which they are able to participate. Current members of a University choral group and music majors are encouraged to give this group a try. It is also an opportunity see if the music ministry will be a best fit for you in future semesters. For information on special events, and their rehearsal days and times, contact David Thielman at firstname.lastname@example.org.